Sunday Night Report: The Cost-Effective Plan

Hey. Been thinking about this for the week and think it is something I’d like to discuss, or share with you guys.

See, ever since I started this “Klassic Note” thing, things have been more advanced, especially the places whom I hear songs from, to where I can actually buy the songs. That somehow explains why CDs from Japan can end up on my shelf here on the equator. But then I noticed the sustainability of such a plan, and have thus decided on another plan which is more cost-effective and with an insurance. Yesh, digital downloads.

PLAN A – DIGITAL DOWNLOADS

You see, iTunes has been a music upload site for many music companies, and strictly abides by laws with its software and charges people who buy the songs. And recently, all the songs I hear from have also made their presence known on the iTunes store, from companies like SonyMusic Japan, Lantis to Victor Entertainment and Starchild and so on. Therefore, I consider it an idea to buy every song I intend to put in my list, so as to assure I have the source when I want to, in the cloud. Problem here is only to sign up for an Apple ID, which is cumbersome and… it’s another account to remember, dammit.

PLAN B – FAVOURITE DISCS ONLY

Or I can just actually stick to my original way of doing things, well this isn’t another plan anyway, just the way I’ve been doing things since I started: Leech it off the Internet and get back on the Internet when I need to. Especially every year when I have to sort out my songs. This, however, has plenty of limitations, including having to wait for it to appear (like I mentioned in the previous post) with the emphasis for songs I intend to hear but never appears in full, and the variations of source types, like file types, bitrates and so on. But I also miss the hard copies of the songs I truly like, and the special stuff like photos, and recently I’ve been able to pre-order them off the official stores. So you see, a plan is actually very crucial, especially when I’m seven years into listening this already…

Here’s a table to compare these two ways of keeping my songs, including financial cost, using last year’s song count as an example:

  DIGITAL DOWNLOADS FAVOURITE DISCS ONLY
Availability All available, as long as music company is signed in iTunes Unless I buy those songs featured in the CDs
Waiting Time (in terms of review) Immediately after date of release of CD Vary from before the week of release till the end of time?
“Songs which I heard previews only?” “I can just download and listen.” “I can just wait… and wait…”
Preparations Requires Apple ID and iTunes CD shopping. Requires an account and procedures to order or even pre-order
Backup of sources Always available in the cloud, in my account I can download and keep, the rest may become unavailable over time
Indie artist songs Unavailable, even if want and can purchase May be available if seen on the Net
Cost (Considering 2013, 205 songs) One song = 250yen
Total = 250 x 205
= 51250yen
= about SGD 626*
Assuming one CD single = 1200yen
one CD album = 3000yen,
Total = 2 albums x 3000
+ 21 singles x 1200
= 31200yen
= about SGD 382*
(*All prices estimated using Google, on 2014.01.19)
(**So I actually spent so much last year…)
 
So you see, it’s actually worth thinking. What do you guys think? Should I make the switch? And don’t tell me to do both: I don’t have that much money to spare, spending 1K a year in this…
 
[P.S.: Also, Happy Birthday, Lindsey. Hope you’re enjoying your 21st. Just don’t end up… you know what I’m saying.]